Sunday, July 15, 2012

What He Saw At The Revolution (Really)

One thing I love about Chicago is the diversity of our taxi drivers.  The drivers who line up outside my building are a veritable United Nations.  There are two young Romanian women who drive cabs.  There is the guy from the Ivory Coast - who freaked out when a story about his home country came on NPR.  There is the Palestinian guy who went on a rant about how horrible Israel was until I shut him up by making the offhand comment that I am Jewish.  There was a guy from Nigeria who argued with his girlfriend about her mother back in Lagos.  There are a number of other African's - but I can't identify the country.  Last week I caught a ride with a Russian guy.  One driver had been buddies with Studs Terkel (he was from Chicago).  But today was the most interesting.

I had just stopped off at the pet store and loaded up two bags with BFF (Best Feline Friend).  Considering I also had my laptop and some books I waved to a cab that was sitting on the curb.  He motioned that he was on the phone.  So I started looking for other cabs.  After about two minutes of no luck the sitting driver yelled out that window that he would drive me if I didn't mind if he talked on the phone - which I did not.  Halfway through the ride he hung up and apologized for speaking on the phone.

Driver:  I was speaking with my family back home.

Me:  Where is home?

Driver:  Tunisia

Me:  Oh you just had elections.

The moment that came out of my mouth I felt like an idiot.  Libya just had an election.  Tunisia had an election last year sometime.  But he reacted as though he was just thrilled that someone knew anything about his home.  Maybe I fooled him.

Driver:  yes! yes! and I voted in the election.

Me:  you guys were the first to start the whole thing

Driver:  yes we started the ..how do you say it...heated things up.....I actually participated in the revolution.

Me:  you were home at the time?

Driver:  yes.  I was home for my wedding in late December and I was supposed to leave in early January.  But then the man burnt himself in late December and I could not leave.  I needed to stay.  We were on the streets protesting.  I never thought I would be shot at.  But we won and the dictator left.

Me:  he was smart he got out of there quick.

Driver:  yes.  But some others learned from him and it has been much worse in other countries.

Me:  yes....Wow that is so exciting.   I have so much respect for you.

Driver:  I brought a baseball glove and bat to teach my nephews how to play baseball.  After the dictator left his thugs tried to make trouble so that people would want the dictator back.  But the people said no.  I put the baseball bat to good use.

Me:  that is an experience that happens once a century maybe for a country.

Driver:  I am very happy now

No comments: