Thursday, September 13, 2012

Chick-dilemma

About six months back a Chick-fil-A opened around the corner from my apartment.  For the first few weeks the lines reached out the door.  I was not familiar with this franchise, but it must be something really good I thought.  After the initial crowds died down I ventured inside.  I asked the woman at the counter what was good.  She suggested the spicy chicken with extra pickles, the waffle fries, and a drink.  Great that sounded terrific!  They had this kind of milling around waiting process.  After a few minutes I got my order.  On the way back to my table I noticed that I didn't get my drink - but rather than wait in the line again I just wrote it off to the Chick-fil-A experience.  I was pretty excited about the spicy chicken with extra pickles.  But soon my excitement turned to disappointment.  The sandwich was only marginally better than the comparable McDonalds sandwich and not as good as Wendy's.  The fries were ok but nothing to write home (or blog) about.  I decided I probably would not return.  Not sure what the big fuss was about.

A few weeks later Chick-fil-A President & COO Dan Cathy ignited a controversy with statements in the Baptist Press about same-sex marriage.  For years Chick-fil-A has been contributing profits to the WinShape Foundation which among their many "social" services contributes funds to some of the furthest right wing evangelical organizations (Focus on the Family, Exodus International)  Ok so now I definitely will not go back.  But here is my dilemma...I already was not planning on going back so my political statement will have no impact on Chick-fil-A.  Perhaps I should go back a few times and then write them a letter about how I will never go back due to their neanderthal politics.  But I really didn't think their chicken was very good.  Epic Burger is much better.

No comments: